Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inception (May contain spoilers)


So last night I went to see the movie Inception brought to us by director Christopher Nolan. Now Christopher Nolan is the one who brought us Batman Begins and The Dark Knight which are two of my favorite movies, so of course I was excited to see Inception.

One of my friends saw this a couple days before me so I was somewhat prepared for whatever might happen. As a bonus for me, I have always been fascinated by dreams and the human mind and that's what this movie's about.

So what did I think of the movie. It was awesome! It totally blew my mind with its awesome special effects and amazing plot.

Jay Leno pointed out that the movie made $60 million the first week and it's guaranteed to make $60 million the next week because everyone will go back and see it again to figure out what the heck just happened. Here's what happened:

Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is an expert thief when it comes to ideas. He's one of the best when it comes to the art of extraction. Extraction is when you enter a person's dream in order to remove an idea or thought from their subconscious. In the beginning you see him performing this act. He hooks himself and his "victim" (that's what I'll call it) up to a machine that sends him into someone's mind while they both are asleep.

For some reason (I won't ruin it for you) Cobb isn't allowed back into the United States. When someone approaches him with an opportunity to change that he accepts. All he has to do is place an idea inside of someone's mind. This is the idea of inception. The only problem is inception is almost impossible. Placing an idea in someone's subconscious will put the idea in there but the person will know that it wasn't their idea. It's impossible unless you go into their dreams deep enough. A dream within a dream within a dream.

The person who hires Cobb is the founder/CEO of a major energy company in Japan. He asks Cobb to enter the heir of a competing organization and place the idea that he should dissolve his father's empire. So Cobb forms a team to help him penetrate this man's mind.

When they enter into his dream they get attacked by what appears to be an army. Oh, and a giant freight train. These things attacking them are the man's defenses against people sent to extract ideas. He had an extractor teach him how to defend his mind from extraction and the guys with guns is just the manifestation of this skill.

Now, normally for them to exit a dream they could be woken up in real life or killed in the dream. However, in order to buy themselves enough time to go deep enough into the dream they are all heavily sedated and they wouldn't wake up from this. They would be trapped in limbo for a long time.

So they enter the guy's dream, find him, enter his dream again (in the dream), find him, enter the dream again (in the dream within the dream), and try to plant this idea. That's the basic idea.

One thing that I really liked about this was Leonardo DiCaprio's character. You see his character develop and you also discover more about his past as the story goes on. You also figure out what happened to his wife. Personally, I think it's pretty dark, and that's after the movie when you find out even more at the end.

One thing I didn't like was the ending. I'm not really into those types of endings and that's all I'll say so I don't ruin it for anybody. Let's just say there could easily be an alternate ending and all they would have to do is change about 2 seconds of it.

Anyway. If you like movies involving fantasy worlds, amazing subplots, and suspense that will keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for more, then you will love Inception.

Thank you for reading this. Thanks to my friends for inviting me to see this with them. Please comment and email/comment me the name of a movie you want me to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment